Thomas Jefferson Wine Festival
November 16, 2013
"Wine...a necessary of life with me." Thomas Jefferson
Join "Mr. Jefferson" at his retreat - tasting wines from sixteen Virginia wineries, savoring fare from food purveyors, perusing work by local crafters and artisans, and enjoying musical performances by Chamomile and Whiskey and the Deanie Blues Band. Hear "Mr. Jefferson" discuss his love of wine with Gabrielle Rausse, the father of viticulture in Virginia.
November 16, 2013
11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Jefferson is considered the "father of Virginia wine," importing wines from Europe and attempting to establish vineyards in Virginia more than 200 years ago. Although largely unsuccessful in his day, his vision has been realized by talented wine makers throughout the state of Virginia. Not long ago Travel and Leisure magazine proclaimed Virginia one of five up-and-coming wine regions (along with areas of Chile, Italy, Spain and New Zealand). What better place to start the exploration of Jefferson and Virginia wine, than at Jefferson's Poplar Forest.
Tasting: $20 in advance, $25 at the door
Non-Tasting and 12-20: $10
Under 12: Free
Visit www.2013tjwinefestival.eventbrite.com to get yours!
Participating Wineries include:
- Altillo Vineyards, Moneta, VA
- Attimo Winery, Christiansburg, VA
- Barboursville Vineyards, Barboursville, VA
- Foggy Ridge Cidery, Floyd, VA
- Gabriele Rausse Winery, Charlottesville, VA
- Hickory Hill Vineyards and Winery, Moneta, VA
- Jefferson Vineyards, Charlottesville, VA
- Kilaurwen Winery, Stanardsville, VA
- Peaks of Otter Winery, Bedford, VA
- Ramulouse Ridge Vineyards, Moneta, VA
- Rebec Vineyards, Amherst, VA
- Sans Soucy Vineyards, Brookneal, VA
- Stanburn Winery, Stuart, VA
- Virginia Mountain Vineyards, Fincastle, VA
- The Williamsburg Winery, Williamsburg, VA
- Wisdom Oak Winery, North Garden, VA
House tours will be available throughout the day at a reduced rate. Tasting tickets include a complimentary wine glass. Must be 21 years or older to taste wines. Festival will occur rain or shine. All wineries will be in heated tents.
The Thomas Jefferson Wine Festival is generously sponsored by:
Hotel packages are available at the following locations. Please contact them directly for details:
The Kirkley Hotel (434) 237-6333
Craddock Terry Hotel (434) 455-1500
The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast (434) 846-1388
Days Inn at River Ridge Mall (434) 847-8655
Wingate by Wyndham (434) 845-1700
All reservations are final.
- For Tickets Call
- (434) 534-8120
- For Information Call
- (434) 525-1806
Events are subject to change.